So the question some may ask is "If you are already making a range of stoneware with a design you like why design a new range of earthenware?" There are a few reasons and I know it can be risky to make two different ranges at once in case you get stretched out across two ranges but my reasons are as follows.
- To be creative and have a play around
- With Earthenware I could eventually source clay from lancashire
- I don't have masses of orders for 'Sea and Sand' as it stands
- With 'Sea and Sand' I want use gas firings, but with Earthenware I don't mind electric
- It is cheaper to fire in my Electric Kiln
- When teaching I often slip decorate on the stoneware (examples to follow)
- I already have some pre-made slips I can play around with.
|Image from http://www.thrownclay.co.uk/wetheriggs.htm where it is for sale|
Speaking with Gwynneth Rixon both here and on Facebook about Earthenware and slip decorating and the work of Isaac Button and Wetheriggs. I have previously watched the Isaac button videos on youtube but only whilst talking to her did I realise that I was born around 22 miles from where he worked, and Wetheriggs is the place where I first tried the pottery wheel as my wife wanted to try throwing during our first year. (I tried to revisit Wetheriggs two years ago but it had become an animal Sanctuary)(Guy Wolff worked at Wetheriggs according to this post by Hannah McAndrew)
The Thing that then got me thinking about slip decoration was the following video:
For those that haven't seen it Jessica Fong making “Night Platter” video by Fetishghost
|I know it is an old drawing but reduce reuse and recycle.|
Skipping Step One of mind mapping it has already been done here.
Step Two - Mood Boards
|I created the mood board digitally at https://www.moodshare.co/|
|From my Collections: Hannah McAndrew Mug and Doug Fitch Jug and Mug|
(This blog has been sat very much unchanged for two weeks because I have been busy with other things and there are other things that need doing and I don't want the entry to get too long, so I will post it today and hopefully by next weekend I will have finished the other half.)